Thursday, January 2, 2014

"Taught by Finland" - I highly recommend this blog!

I came across a wonderful blog recently and plan to read it regularly.  

Taught by Finland is written by Tim Walker, an American married to a Finnish woman, who is a public school teacher in Helsinki.  He offers a unique perspective about the differences between the public education system in Finland and in the U.S.  

Anyone that knows me and knows my political viewpoints might understand why I find the following statement by Walker particularly compelling, ""My wife is Finnish," he explained, "and we have a small child with another on the way. We decided Finland was a better place for us to raise a family."  While certainly the social service infrastructure (health insurance for all, maternity leave, etc) is appealing, what I am learning about their educational system is leading me to ask questions about our own.  

Balance and perspective are the two most significant words that come to mind when I read Walker's posts.  Finns require regular breaks from curriculum for their students and teachers, which is something I've always thought we just don't do enough.  Packing up and walking to the next class is not the kind of break the Finns have in mind.  Rejuvenation and refreshment are the goals for the short breaks.  Read more of Walker's insights in his post, "Classroom Shock".  

As an instructional coach I am committed to helping teachers become experts at their craft and maximize their natural gifts in the classroom with students.  As this happens, student achievement naturally increases.  My district created  coach positions like the one I have as a component of the new Teacher Development & Evaluation program required by the state.  While I believe in the power of reflection, goal-setting (or better yet, commitment to "systems"), observations, and coaching, I do not believe that teachers should be ranked (see the recent Microsoft about-face about employee ranking) because this assumes a bell curve approach rather than a focus on growth and development.  Read more of Walker's thoughts about teacher rankings in his post, What do Finnish Teachers think of Teacher Rankings?   In it he addresses both ranking and standardized testing as means of teacher evaluation.  Take time to read the comments posted below this blog entry.

There are a lot of really good educational blogs out there, and I enjoy learning new things and seeing different perspectives.  As I look ahead to the new year I would like to be sure and make time to do more professional reading.  What are your favorite blogs?

No comments:

Post a Comment