Saturday, April 13, 2013

Armed and Dangerous




Sorry NRA.  I don't want to have a gun in my classroom.  And furthermore, I think it is lunacy to suggest that the solution to the problem of gun violence is more guns, and that the way to keep children in schools safe is to arm teachers.  The article I am writing about is satire, but is nonetheless disturbing.

Many of my middle school students come from families that have strong  the classconnections to hunting or target shooting.  Great.  But I don't see any need to own "assault" style weaponry for these kinds of activities.  And the idea that citizens need these weapons to arm themselves against their own government is further lunacy.

I'd like my students to be safe in my classroom, but I don't think that armed guards in the schools or guns in the hands of teachers is the answer.  I believe that the key to safety is the sense of belonging and inclusion, a feeling of community, that "we're all in it together" and that "everyone does well when everyone does well" ideas that transcend the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment